Fort Wayne Civic Theatre entertains, enlightens, inspires, educates and enriches the community through quality live theatre.
|1927-28||Fort Wayne Community Theatre Guild established. The two productions were Seven Keys to Baldpate and The Charm School.|
||Name changes to “Old Fort Players” and seven or eight productions were presented in 1931. Old Fort Players then move into the Majestic Theatre at 220 East Berry Street with its large 80' x 40' stage for the next 231 productions. Ben Hur had live horses in chariot race on a treadmill!
|1940||Name changes to “Fort Wayne Civic Theatre” and tax-exempt status is awarded. Orchestra formed to play an overture prior to each performance.|
|1953||First Anthony Awards presented in recognition of outstanding performances in several categories.|
|1955||Women's Guild formed. Through volunteers and financial assistance, the Guild continues its support to this day.|
||Civic Theatre moves into the former Palace Theatre at 126 E Washington Boulevard. Sheet metal painted with "CIVIC Playhouse" was added to cover the illuminated "P A L A C E" letters. Reportedly, a truck hit a section of the marquee closest to the street, and the damage is visible in this picture.
||Performing Arts Center at 303 E Main Street (owned by Arts United) is the new home for the Civic Theatre.|
|2003-04||Civic Theatre elebrates 75 years and is the second largest community theatre in Indiana.|
Performing Arts Center is renamed ARTS UNITED CENTER.
|2006-07||Civic Theatre opens its second stage series named "Civic Off-Main."|
|2008-09||80th Anniversary: Celebrating 8 Dramatic Decades!